Saturday, November 29, 2008

LITTLE TREASURES

You may have heard the commercial whose tagline is 'What's in your wallet?'. No, that's not the question here. The question is: 'what's on your shelf?' You know, the one spot that is home to your little collectibles and odds and ends. Don't tell me you're one of those who has no chachkeys, are you?! Oh my, then you'd best not read any further.

Okay, it's just us collectors now, right? Good. I thought I'd share with you the little group of items I have on my kitchen shelf above my sink.


-First, there is a lovely black-and-white Celtic tile that anchors most of my 'treasures'. The tile was a gift from Scotland from cousins who live in Alaska.
-On the left is a soy candle (vanilla scented-yum) from a friend.
-The greenery/cuttings are Brugmansia (click here to see some nice shots of Brugmansia flowers) from the potted ones I pruned.
-The odd-looking wooden/gray metal contraption (lower right on the tile) is a great little snipper I use when gathering my herbs. The snippers are really a gift that keeps giving because whenever I use them, I am reminded of the gift-giver and all the fun times when we were neighbors.
-The small green dipper-dish is from my sister-in-law and holds lots of odds and ends. The items include mummified sungold cherry tomatoes from last year, a couple chair leg pads (need to be reattached...it'll happen eventually), buttons that are in the shape of leaves in fall colors from a potted plant I won at a gardening event, a chain from something (it'll get back where it needs to go eventually), a blue plastic washer (who knows what that goes to, but when I find out what, I'll have it ready), a frog, and an old penny.
-The Pollock-looking votive-holder is from a favorite potter in Southern California. The small Yankee Candle is one of my favorite candle scents (sage and citrus).
-On the right of the tile, next to the pumpkin there was a screw. It belonged somewhere besides this spot, which is reserved for special things. It is now moved.
-Last, a pumpkin for Thanksgiving.

Now you know what's on my shelf of treasures; What's on your shelf?

~Aerie-el

p.s. Not on your shelf necessarily but perhaps on your tree could be the ornament that Amy is giving away. For more info, check out her blog Blossom.

4 comments:

  1. I like this post idea! On my kitchen shelf - bamboo plant in ceramic panda container (leftover decoration from daughter's bday party 2 1/2 yrs ago), dried-out pomegranate, plastic apple mug from childhood currently filled with kid paintbrushes, a few random pretty rocks, a ripening pear, and a good-luck Japanese kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking to my giveaway!

    We tend to have things collecting all over the place. The children's artwork and craft projects are a big one. I have a collection of tea cups that belonged to my husband's lovely grandmother, but don't really have a good place to display them yet. My miniature collection was put away until the kids were older and weren't trying to play with it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelf? I have a whole landslide. Perhaps it's some kind of accumulation disorder. There's plants, bird stuff-binocs, a suet feeder waiting to go outside, and some feathers my litle boy collected. A changing array of books and CDs. And did i mention plants? Planters too. It just kkeeps growing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fun post! Let's see, which shelf... ok, the one right behind me...

    Garden books
    Basket with more books
    Tin of Botanical Vignettes cards
    Piece of amethyst crystal
    Piece of white coral

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and visiting blogs of people who leave them! Thanks for visiting!